The Grumpy Boater from Rose of Arden recently wrote a blog post about a fun way of sending mail around the canal:
Its a sort of message in a bottle, that has been cast adrift via any number of unknown routes. What a wonderful idea for bit of boating fun. Thought up by Simon Greer. Basically you get to send a picture postcard via any number of different boats which will occur at random, addressed to some other boater on the cut. Like a message in a bottle, who knows maybe one day a similar message will wash up on your boat.
This is how it works:
- Choose a nice picture post card.
- Address it to another boater on the system. Write them a little note of good wishes.
- Put the card in a see through plastic bag (Self seal sandwich type works best).
- Put it inside the bag and also put inside this note:
“Dear Boater, Please pass on this canal post to another boater who can help it reach its destination,
Include a a note in the bag a few words about who you are, your boat, and how far you have carried the post”
- Hand it to another boater
It looks interesting, I may have to find a postcard to send to Mike, I am more interested in how he will send me mail by return,