J & H McLaren Diesel Engine

This engine drove a standby set of hydraulic pumps that were used to swing the Chester Road swing bridge, crossing the Manchester Ship Canal in Warrington. It is a M3 Mk II 3 cylinder, 4 stroke cycle compression ignition diesel engine, dating from 1952. J & H McLaren was founded in Leeds in 1876 by brothers John and Henry. They started building steam engines, turning to internal combustion engines in 1891. Engine production continued in Leeds until 1957 and then transferred to Ashton under Lyne for a final two years until 1959.

Leave a Reply

8 thoughts on “J & H McLaren Diesel Engine”