I have no landline, however most companies who want you to phone them insist in using 0845 / 0870 / 0GodWhereDidMyMoneyGo numbers, that are even more expensive from a mobile.
Some of the oddest offenders of this are transport companies, you know the people who you want to ask the time of their service while not at home?
Over the years I have made a small collection of other ways to get hold of people hidden in call centers, and I thought it would be nice to share my list:
Train Operating Companies
- London Midland 0844 811 0133 can be got via 0121 634 2040 (they list 0121 634 2040 on their site:)) and have mapped option one to NRE 😀
- National Rail Enquirys as you can see from above the bastards at NRE use 08457 48 49 50 and are proud to be on a rip-off number, and have convinced every body they have good reason to do this (the 020 7278 5240 number is answered with a message stating the number is for international callers only)!
- Cross Country Trains 0844 811 0124 number is 0121 200 6450, and they have [email protected] as the direct email address.
- East Midland Trains 08457 125 678 don’t have a Direct dial number that they are willing to give out any more (I have asked many times for the replacement for 0115 850 7931); however if you go via the 01332 867000 switch board that will save you pennies. also [email protected] is the email address for customer services.
- First Great Western 08457 000 125 hide down in deepest darkest Plymouth on 01752 675640, and can be emailed via [email protected]
- First Trans Pennine Express 0845 600 1671 also hide down in devon, on 01752 675641 and can be emailed via [email protected]
- Northern Rail 0845 000 0125 or if you are sensible 0113 881 4750 (have option 1 mapped to National Rail Enquires’s 08457 48 49 50.) or via email to [email protected] they also have a great team on Twitter @northernrailorg
- Virgin Trains 08450 008 000 is over on 0121 654 7478 and they can be got hold of via [email protected]
At some point over the next while I will add more types of numbers to my blog, including car / bike / narrowboat insurance companies. (yes goSkippy you as well).